We are now accepting applications for The Dash Grant through May 24, 2019.
You will –
- receive a $250 grant to produce your book to premiere at Short Run 2019
- have free access to Fogland Studios silkscreen lab in Seattle and optional instruction the week of the festival
- receive online mentorship from special guest (TBA)
- have your artwork featured in our annual group art show at Fantagraphics Bookstore and Gallery
- receive a free half table at the festival
How to Submit: EMAIL US firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: “Dash Grant”)
- 5 recent work samples that reflect the aesthetic of the project. Send direct links to work on your website or send a file sharing link (Dropbox or the like) with 5 images under 2 MB each
- A project description (up to 1 page) which should include:
- your contact info
- # of pages
- timeline for the project with details (make sure to convey that you can complete this book by Short Run on November 9th)
- any additional info that will help us envision your project
We are an alternative small press festival and the project we choose to receive the Dash grant will reflect that. It can be experimental, traditional, a mini-comic, a graphic novel, black and white, or full color. We don’t care so long as it reflects awesome, innovative, comix storytelling. The project also must be a solo endeavor—not an anthology (though we may consider collaborations between two people). Check out previous winners here.
We want to promote you and your work so you must be present at Short Run 2019 and your book must premiere at Short Run. Printing at Fogland and mentorship are optional. Your project must be a self-published work. You must be 18 years old or have parental approval. You will receive 50% of the funds up front and 50% after Short Run.
Short Run Comix & Arts Festival takes place at Fisher Pavilion at Seattle Center on Saturday, Nov. 9th, 2019.
Thanks to Kazimir Strzepek for the dynamic Dash promo art. His work can be seen here.